DPP Noordin Haji has approved the arrest and prosecution of Garissa Governor Ali Korane over embezzlement of Ksh 233 million.
Garissa being the county of origin for the DPP, saw Haji appoint an independent team to conduct the investigations.
In their investigation, the team established that the said amount was sent to the county government as Conditional Grants for counties under the financial year 2018/2019.
- Haji approves prosecution of Tharaka Nithi Governor
- Haji orders the arrest of Maasai Mara University VC
- DPP Haji orders the arrest of former Kasarani MP
The origin of the amount was from World Bank to the government and sent to the county to be used through the Ministry of Transport to support municipalities in counties.
It was however diverted to personal pockets of individuals between the month of February and September 2019. As the head of the county, he has the responsibility to ensure that the money was properly utilized as intended.
Satisfied with the evidence, DPP Noordin Haji approved the arrest of the Governor and four others who include;
- Ibrahim Nur Malow – Chief Officer Finance
- Mohammed Ahmed Abdullahi – Head of Treasury
- Abdi Shale – County Executive Officer Municipality
- Ahmed AbdullahiAden – Head of Accounting at the Municipal
The suspects will be arraigned in court and answer to charges of;
- Conspiracy to commit an offense contrary to Economic Crime
- Willful failure to comply with the law relating to management of public funds.
- Misappropriation of public funds
- Abuse of office.