The government is on spot as students sitting for KCSE 2019 Chemistry paper 3 practicals are reported to have been exposed to a hazardous substance.
KUPPET who was confirming the incident contradicted the government who squashed the allegations being reported.
The Union confirmed that several students have been taken ill following exposure to xylene chemical used in the ongoing KCSE 2019 exams.
Also reported by the same union was the inclusion of some teachers who were present during the practicals.
- Homabay KCSE candidate dies during delivery
- KCSE 2018:police officer caught in a lodging with a candidate
- KCSE candidate dies after allegedly consuming methanol
The government has been faulted for using the chemical without providing the necessary protective gear needed.
Exposure to the substance leads to eyes and skin irritation. Other harmful effects include possible death to unborn children.
Most of the cases reported are from Trans-Nzoia County and Eastern province with the affected students reported to have been discharged already.
Addressing the issue, CS George Magoha dismissed the effects of the chemical citing it is not as harmful as compared to chlorine acid.
He further added that xylene is used by teachers in the daily teaching of students contrary to what is making rounds.