Rwanda has placed the Capital Kigali under lockdown that will commence on Saturday following a surge in the number of COVID-19 cases in the country.
The news was also confirmed by the country Prime Minister Edouard Ngirente who said that the restrictions will run to July 26th. during this period, movement will be limited to essential services.
“Citizens are urged to significantly reduce social interactions and limit movements only to essential services,” Said Edouard Ngirente.
- Tanzania release COVID-19 statistics for the first time
- UK revises boarder restrictions, bars travelers from Uganda
- South Africa to host Africa’s first COVID-19 vaccine facility
- Rwanda under lock down, ban travels within counties
Also affected by the new measures include schools which will be closed with immediate effect, outdoor sports and other recreational activities. International flights will continue as planned.
In June the government introduced dusk to dawn curfew which will also parallel with the lockdown announced on Wednesday.
Rwanda has battled the virus after confirming the first case by putting in place strict measures but recently they have been overwhelmed by the emergence of various variants in the country.
Hospitals are reported to be struggling with treating patients amid a shortage of beds and other essential medicines.
So far they have confirmed a total of 51,000 cases and 607 fatalities from a total population of 13 million. They are also struggling with the availability of vaccines as the government plans to vaccinate 60% of the population by next year.