For so long, people have had to go through the hustle of visiting power offices and queuing for them to pay for their electricity bills but with the emergence of the Mpesa app, which is available on most phones, this has now made things easier since people can now pay their bills using Mpesa at the comfort of their homes. Mpesa is an app found on the phone that is used to carry out cash transactions.
Mpesa can simply be denoted as a system of transferring money with the help of your phone. In this article, you will be able to know how to pay your electricity bill using the Mpesa app. To begin with, The Kenya Power and Lighting Company(KPLC) is a company that owns and operates most of the electricity transmission and distribution systems in the entire country and sells its services to more than 8 million Kenyans.
The Kenya Power and Lightning company’s vision is to be Kenya’s energy solution provider of choice by providing quality and reliable service to power people for the betterment of their lives. Through KPLC, there are different ways in which you can pay for your electricity bills. Out of all, the most popular one that is being used is the use of Mpesa.
This can apply to those who use the prepaid service which is basically buying tokens as well as those using postpaid service where you pay a monthly bill. Using the Mpesa Paybill numbers is a fast and convenient way compared to going to the bank or even buying through the vendors.
The Kenya Power and Lighting Company mostly encourage its clients to use the paybill numbers 888888 and 888880 for postpaid and prepaid bill payments respectively.
How to pay your Electricity bills using Mpesa
Paying Your Postpaid Electricity Bill with Mpesa
- Go to the Safaricom SIM Tool kit and select Mpesa App on your phone and click on it.
- Select ‘Pay Bill’ from the Mpesa menu.
- Enter the Kenya Power business number 888 888.
- Enter your Kenya Power account number e.g. 234567.
- Enter the amount of money you wish to pay and should be between Ksh. 100 and Ksh. 35,000.
- Confirm the Mpesa pin.
- Kindly confirm all details to ensure they are correct.
- Thereafter wait for a confirmation message of the transaction via SMS.
How To Buy Kenya Power(KPLC) Prepaid Tokens via Mpesa app
- Go to the Safaricom SIM Tool Kit and select Mpesa.
- Select ‘Lipa na Mpesa’.
- Select Paybill.
- Enter the KPLC Mpesa Business number which is 888880 then press ‘OK’.
- Enter Amount. This should be an amount between Ksh. 100 and Ksh. 35,000 then press OK.
- Enter your Mpesa pin then press ‘OK’.
- Confirm the accuracy of the details then once again press ‘OK’.
- Thereafter, You will get a notification with the intended recipient’s name, e.g. ‘Pay Kenya Power Ksh 5,00 for Account 0100 ** ** *. Immediately press 1 within 20 seconds to STOP this transaction. To stop a wrong transaction, Enter ‘1’ and press send within 20 seconds. Once you press ‘Cancel’, you automatically complete the transaction.
- You will then receive a confirmation SMS from Mpesa.
- KPLC will then generate a prepaid token valid for your meter and send it via SMS
One thing for sure is that all payments are posted in your electricity account on the same day.
In the case one also encounters a problem when paying their electricity bills, it is advisable to contact KPLC using the below avenues
Phone: +254 203201000 / 0703 070 707
/0732 170 170
Facebook: Kenya Power Care