A Wajir Chief has been sentenced to 40-years in prison after he was found guilty of raping an 18-year-old girl on multiple occasion.
Chief Kalimoi Shale is reported to have opted for an out-of-court settlement of the matter, a system widely used in North Eastern parts of the country.
He however had resorted to publish nude pictures of the young girl on social media as punishment for refusing his advances.
- KDF soldiers kill 10 Al Shabaab terrorists in Boni forest
- Evans Michori, serial killer behind Nakuru murders arrested
“Chief Kalimoi Shale of Wajir was found guilty of raping an 18-year-old girl on multiple occasions and using his position to force her to accept an out-of-court settlement through Maslaha, a cultural conflict resolution model common in North Eastern Kenya.
In addition, the chief was also accused of circulating the victim’s nude photos on social media after she refused to accept his continuous abuse.” Said Office of The Director Of Public Prosecution (ODPP)
According to ODPP, the sentences include a 20 year jail term for raping the young girl and another 20 year jail term for publishing her nude photos on the internet. In addition to the above, he will pay the victim Ksh 500,000 as compensation.
“He was found guilty of the following and his sentences will run concurrently:
1. Rape-sentenced to 20 years in prison
2. Wrongful distribution of obscene or intimate images-sentenced to 20 years in prison
3. Victims’ compensation of Kshs. 500,000/-” Said ODPP