President William Ruto has made it clear and be known that the Port of Mombasa will not be privatized as previously speculated.
The head of State noted that the port will only be concessioned where private investors will be welcomed to improve efficiency at the port for a specific period of time.
Speaking from Mama Ngina Waterfront in Mombasa on Sunday, President William Ruto noted that there is need for a port development plan that will boost logistics and special economic zones.
- Ruai OCS arrested demanding bribe from detained revelers
- Kenya Railways increases fare effective January 1st 2024
“We have agreed that the port will not be privatized. That will not happen. I promised to return the port operations to Mombasa, I have delivered on that.
Returning the port operations to Mombasa is not enough. We need a port development plan, that is why we have announced a concession plan. This will enable investors to put in their resources to boost logistics and special economic zones.” he said
According to the President, the port is currently ranked position 326 out of 348 ports in the world but it has great potential if a proper plan is put in place.
He continued by saying that if the port if incorporated with the Dongo Kundu Special Economic Zone, the number of people to be employed will rise from 8,000 to 50,000.
“The people working at the port are few, only about 8,000. We want to organise this port, together with the Dongo Kundu Special Economic Zone, to employ more than 50,000 young people,” he said