Monday, July 15, 2024

President Ruto directs Treasury to review salaries of state officers

President William Ruto has directed the National Treasury to review a gazette notice issued by SRC on salaries and remuneration of state officers.

Through State House spokesperson Hussein Mohamed, the Head of State emphasized that it is about time that the Executive and all arms of the government to live within their means.

“President Williams Ruto has directed the National Treasury to review the Gazette Notice dated August 9, 2023, from the Salaries and Remuneration Commission (SRC) regarding the remuneration & benefits for State officers in the Executive of the National Government, the Senate & the National Assembly, in light of the withdrawal of the Finance Bill 2024 & the fiscal constraints expected this financial year.

The President has emphasised that this is a time, more than ever before, for the Executive & all arms of government to live within their means.” said Hussein Mohamed

On the same issue, Public Service Cabinet Secretary Moses Kuria noted that under his watch no state officer will have his/her salary increased given the harsh economic time the country is dealing with.

“I reiterate my observations during the Conference that it is not sustainable to have 900,000 public servants from both levels of Government consume Ksh 1.1 trillion annually, which is equivalent to 47 percent of national revenues, leaving the rest of 54 million Kenyans with 53 percent, with debt servicing and development to cater for, among other expenditure. I believed then, just as now, that this is more of a moral and ethical issue than an economic issue,” he said

Under the SRC review Cabinet Secretaries would now be earning Ksh 990,000 from Ksh 957,000. Principal Secretaries would now be earning Ksh 819,844 up from Ksh.792,519.

The same increment could be affected to the Attorney General and Prime Cabinet Secretary Musalia Mudavadi.

Governor would now be earning Ksh 990,000 from Ksh 957,000 with Members of Parliament expected to bag Ksh 739,600 from Ksh 725,502.

Related Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected

2,800FansLike
1,638FollowersFollow
198FollowersFollow
- Advertisement -

Latest Articles