Transport CS Kipchumba Murkomen has on Thursday lifted the ban on PSV from using the Nairobi Expressway with immediate effect.
“Over the months, there has been a gradual increase in the traffic volume with many motorists expressing their satisfaction with the services offered by the Nairobi Expressway. In light of this, I wish to announce that the Government has lifted the suspension of PSVs from using Nairobi Expressway effective immediately,” said Murkomen
PSV’s had been banned from using the 27-km road back in 2022 following a series of accident that were witnessed and caused by overspeeding.
- Former GSU officer arrested over robbery with violence
- Raila cancels anticipated Kamukunji rally
- Nairobi Expressway toll services halted due to ongoing demonstration
Through a statement, the new directive will remain in place as long as they observe all traffic rules. In addition to that, the government will ensure that the rules are observed and the road is safe.
According to the CS the use of the Expressway will help reduce congestion in the city, the major reason why the 27-km was constructed in the first place. It was also meant to improve the economy of the country and cut down losses caused by traffic snarl-up.
He continued by saying that the new development will also create more jobs and ensure effective logistics across the city.
“I believe that this will have a direct and positive impact on the country’s economy, create more jobs, and ensure effective mobility across the city,” said the CS